A vehicle may be removed and impounded and/or immobilized when the vehicle is:
- In a designated tow zone/no parking zone;
- In a handicapped or reserved space;
- At a designated bus stop;
- Illegally parked and unattended, causing a safety hazard or obstruction of traffic;
- Legally parked but having three or more outstanding citations;
- Legally parked but having $100 or more outstanding citations;
- Not displaying license plates and/or VIN is covered or unreadable;
- Left unattended on a street or in a parking area continuously for more than 10 days under circumstances that tend to indicate that it has been abandoned; (excessive body damage or missing parts, one or more tires flat, evidence of abnormal fluid leaks)
- Left in a space or area after the time stipulated to vacate the space or area due to a special use;
- Parked on a lawn or grass area;
- Illegally parked in a permit-required parking area;
- Parked in a pay parking lot after the posted time stipulated to vacate the lot;
- Authorized for removal or impoundment by Georgia Code 40-6-206 or Georgia Code 32-6-2 . (Complete details regarding both Georgia codes may be reviewed at: http://www.lexis-nexis.com/hottopics/gacode/Default.asp; or
- Displaying a falsified/altered permit.
Georgia Tech parking enforcement and campus police officers may remove and impound, at no expense to the owner, vehicles from institutionally controlled property:
- When the vehicle is unattended and legally parked but constitutes a safety hazard or obstruction of traffic;
- When a vehicle must be removed in the interest of safety or persons or property because of fire, flood, snow or emergency reasons.
The Institute assumes no liability for damage to vehicles parked on institutionally controlled property during or as a result of immobilization or impoundment.
Impounded vehicles will be towed to the impound lot located behind the campus Police Department. Vehicles considered abandoned and unclaimed for 30 days at the Georgia Tech impound lot will be subject to transfer to a commercial storage facility (A-Tow) at the owner's expense. Transfer to a commercial facility does not release the vehicle owner from liability for outstanding citations. A storage fee of $5 per day will be charged for all vehicles in the impound lot.
A booted vehicle will have a tire lock (boot) placed on the wheel and a sticker placed on the windshield, with instructions for paying fine and removal of the lock. Removing or attempting to remove a boot will result in the vehicle being cited for Altering, defacing, removing, or destroying any official control device, immobilizing device, signal, gate, or sign *
Show-up fee paid to wrecker driver(vehicle attachment has started but can be released on site, or wrecker is in route or not yet attached)
Vehicles left for more than 24 hours will be charged a storage fee of $5 per day for a full or partial day
Inquiries regarding impounded and/or immobilized vehicles should be directed to the Parking Office at (404) 385-PARK. Owners can also locate a vehicle via the Georgia Towed Car website.
RECLAIMING OF IMMOBILIZED AND IMPOUNDED VEHICLES
Procedures for reclaiming vehicles:
Monday - Friday 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Come to the Parking & Transportation Office at 828 West Peachtree Street, N. W. (Office entrance/exit is via Area 6 visitor lot.) Bring a photo ID.
Monday - Friday 5:00 p.m. - 7:30 a.m. Call the Parking & Transportation Office at (404) 385-PARK and the dispatcher will arrange a time for you to meet a supervisor or parking control officer. Bring a photo ID. You will be required to pay the immobilization fee, impoundment and storage fee (if applicable), all outstanding citations, and any late fees accrued. After payment of all outstanding obligations on the account, you will receive a release slip for your vehicle. Parking and Transportation personnel will make arrangements for you to meet a parking control officer to release your vehicle from the impound lot or to remove the boot from your vehicle.